Most people have cabinets on the upper part of the kitchen and then a few more below the platform. There might be a few drawers here and there, but most will be kitchen cabinets. But, it is not the right way to design your kitchen. If you are considering renovating your kitchen, you need to have kitchen drawers as base cabinets. It will help free up a lot of your counter space and make it look tidy since you can easily tuck away things in the drawers. Even if you have lower cabinets and do not want to spend on a painful full-blown renovation, you can convert the existing base cabinets into drawers with ease.
Top Advantages of Having Drawers
As mentioned above, there are plenty of benefits to having drawers instead of doored cabinets below. Some of them are –
- Easily Accessible – Lower cabinets will be about two feet in-depth, and if you put stuff in there, they might get out of sight. Besides, you have to pull out everything in there to get access to one pot hidden at the back. Drawers give you access to everything in them, even those at the end with ease.
- Proper Organization – cabinets are like big boxes, and you will end up putting things inside it in a haphazard manner. With drawers, you can add dividers or specialized inserts that will allow you to put in everything such as spices, cooking utensils, dishes, mugs, and more, neatly and in their own designated spot.
- Proper Space Utilization – With multiple drawers on the lower part, you will be able to put in more things compared to cabinets. You will be able to make proper use of the entire space, which is absolutely necessary if you have a small kitchen.
Things to Consider before Buying Kitchen Drawers
If you want to increase storage efficiency and remove cluttering from the countertop or the cabinets, kitchen drawers are the best. If you want to know how to make drawers look great in your kitchen, here are some of the things you need to consider –
- Material Options– Most kitchen drawers are made of solid hardwood or plywood. Other materials that can be used are metal and manufactured melamine. The slides usually use plastic or metal ball bearings that won’t rust over time. Make sure to match the style of the drawers with the upper kitchen cabinets as well.
- Drawer Size – The sizes of the drawers are determined by the dimension of the space they need to be put in and also their applications. You will need different sized drawers for different things, such as cooking utensils, pots, appliances, cutlery, and others.
- Proper Slides – You’ll need appropriate slides for different types of items. For heavy items such as pots, you will need top-rated slides so that they can take the weight without falling out. For cutlery and other small items, normal slides should suffice.
Luxury Features – You can opt for luxury drawers by opting for soft-closing, or ‘feather touch’ glides for your drawers. These retract with just a gentle push and do not make any sound.